First Aid Education
As part of a programme of PSHE education teachers must include teaching about basic first aid.
From September 2020 by the end of primary school pupils should know:
• how to make a clear and efficient call to emergency services if necessary.
• concepts of basic first-aid, for example dealing with common injuries, including head injuries.
By the end of secondary school pupils should know:
• basic treatment for common injuries.
• life-saving skills, including how to administer Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR is usually best taught after 12 years old)
• the purpose of defibrillators and when one might be needed
First aid education can be delivered by teachers to all children. Some schools may choose to have additional input from visitors and consider other opportunities to extend this education, for example through school clubs.
First aid training for staff
Wiltshire Council offer the following training opportunities for staff
Basic first aid - 3 hours @ £60
Basic first aid skills that will be invaluable when accidents happen. Includes CPR, recovery position and how to handle minor and deteriorating conditions in any casualty.
Paediatric first aid - 1 day + elearning @ £120
A blended training program that incorporates both knowledge and practical application in a small group, instructor-led environment. There is an additional 6-hours of e-learning study and an online assessment to gain certification.
QNUK Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work (RQF) - 1 day @ £120
Emergency first aid at work includes CPR, recovery position and first aid for choking casualty.
For further information and advice, and to enrol onto a course please email the firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 01225 713183.
Support for Wiltshire Schools
Support from a range of organisations is available to help teachers plan and deliver first aid education. Some organisations may also be able to offer visitor input to supplement this delivery.
Wiltshire Council (Organisational Development)
offer tailored packages to schools including:
- Whole school assembly training, followed by classroom based activities.
- Train the trainer for school based student first aid trainers.
- Instructor led classroom based training by our qualified trainers.
Contact email@example.com or 01225 713183 to discuss your needs.
St John Ambulance
Offer free teaching resources for schools (ages 7-16) as well as lessons delivered by St John Ambulance trainers and training for staff.
British Red Cross
Provide free teaching resources for schools (ages 5-19) that can be delivered by teachers.
British Heart Foundation
Provide free teaching materials for Heartstart primary and secondary schools to teach life saving skills.
Secondary schools can apply for a free CPR education kit
Free PSHE lesson plans are available to use with this kit as well as pupil certificates.