Alcohol guidance for secondary schools and FE settings
Tuesday 10th September 2019
In August 2019 NICE updated their guidance for secondary schools and FE settings.
The guidance covers the planning and delivery of alcohol education as well as the provision of targeted interventions.
Key points include:
- Alcohol education should be part of a whole school approach
- Alcohol education, as part of PSHE, should use a spiral curriculum
- Classroom discussions can be tailored to the needs of different age groups
- Use a positive approach, avoiding scare tactics, to help pupils make informed healthy choices
- Pupils should understand how they can raise concerns and be supported
- There should be clear referral pathways to helping services, as needed