SUGAR SMART Wiltshire
What is SUGAR SMART?
SUGAR SMART Wiltshire is part of a national campaign headed up by Jamie Oliver and the charity Sustain. Local Authorities are invited to sign up to the campaign by registering their interest on the SUGAR SMART website – www.sugarsmart.org.uk
How does it work?
Unlike other public health campaigns which usually run for 1 day or a week, there is no time limit on this campaign. We plan to run the campaign alongside the Obesity Strategy 2016-20.
In Wiltshire we will be using the campaign to highlight the positive work that is already going on, such as our Healthy Schools programme and the Eat Out Eat Well Healthy Catering award. We will also use the campaign to call for schools, alongside workplaces, leisure centres, dental practices, supermarkets etc. to make their own pledges in becoming SUGAR SMART. There are a range of pledges on the website but we will also encourage new pledges to be developed to suit the needs of the community/workforce etc.
Schools and other organisations are invited to register their pledges on the SUGAR SMART web site; email Katie.email@example.com to send an invite to the website. The website will collate all local SUGAR SMART actions so we can keep track of all the fantastic work.
How can you get involved?
There are a range of ways you can support SUGAR SMART Wiltshire, many are listed on the SUGAR SMART website:-
- Tweet using #SUGARSMARTWiltshire - SUGAR SMART must always be used in capital letters. Also use the handle @PHWiltshire and @katiedaviesph
- Follow @PHWiltshire and @katiedaviesph to share tweets of the SUGAR SMART campaign
- Email Katie.firstname.lastname@example.org to be sent an invite to the SUGAR SMART website to log your pledges and SUGAR SMART activity. By registering you will have access to a range of SUGAR SMART resources to support you with your pledges/activities
What action can you take as part of SUGAR SMART?
Here are some actions you could take in your schools to pledge on the SUGAR SMART website. To discuss these and other ideas contact Katie.email@example.com
- Run healthy breakfast clubs which promote healthy options
- Promote tap water
- Invite Healthy Me team to the school to deliver an assembly or the Bitesize programme for year 4 and 5’s
- Promote SUGAR SMART packed lunches
- Implement a SUGAR SMART healthy snacks policy
- SUGAR SMART in the staffroom - encourage staff to bring in healthier alternatives at birthdays, Christmas and other celebrations
More actions schools can take can be found here:
Wiltshire primary schools can borrow C4L event resources from Katie Davies to support any healthy eating campaigns/events. The events kit bag includes: posters, C4L table cloth, bunting.